I love the photo above. The sunrise breaking through the trees. The forest path that, although on our own property, could really be leading anywhere. Duke running at full speed towards his next adventure.
It's the perfect image to capture my thoughts on the coming year. It's fresh! New exploits! I'm excited! I'm ready!
As the dawn of 2018 breaks, I thought I would share some of my thoughts and plans for Flora & Fiber.
- As I announced a few weeks back in this post, I'm writing a book 'Krokbragd: How to Design & Weave". This will be an ongoing process throughout much of the year with the anticipated release planned for Fall 2018.
- Related to this project, I am starting a study on weft-faced pattern weaves using the book 'Tabby to Taqueté' by Nancy Hoskins. This is a series of 53 lessons with technique samplers that I will be sharing with you as I work through each one. You may want to join me; if so, leave a comment below or message me and maybe I'll do it as a weave-a-long.
- A series on Shaker Rugs that will include dyeing, spinning, and weaving to complete the project.
- Tapestry weaving, particularly using handspun yarn.
- Breed and Fiber studies. I'm considering doing this as a spin-a-long and offering study fiber kits, so if this interests you, again leave a comment below or message me.
- More fleece preparation and fiber blending.
- Natural Dye plant focuses.
- Dyeing protein fibers with various acid dye techniques.
- Learning Norwegian (krokbragd is from Norway).
- Offering a couple of classes/workshops here at Green Pastures Farm and potentially on-line.
In closing, I'd like to share something I read a few months back in ‘The Embroidery News’ published by Inspirations Studios Corporation. My hope is it will provide you a chance for reflection as together we approach the new year.
At some stage all of us will have our time here on earth summarized in this format:
Jane Smith 1925 - 2013
Of the five elements above: first name, last name, year of birth, dash, year of death, there is only one thing we control - the dash. All the other things, our name, when we’re born and when we die, are not of our choosing.
The dash is where we live our lives; it’s the part of the equation where all the magic happens. It’s where we write our own stories.